Dates: June 24-July 18, 2015
Info Session: Tuesday, September 30, 12:30pm, Bliss 145
LIT 370: Literary Landscapes in England and Switzerland (1 unit – 4 credits, Liberal Learning Elective in Literary, Visual and Performing Arts)
Program Director: Dr. Michele Lise Tarter, Professor of Literature
No Pre-Requisites, Language Requirements, or GPA Restrictions – Open to all students (including current first-year students)
Apply Now! (click on this link to access the paper application – online application access will be available in Fall 2014)
Please note: the 2015 program will take students to Harlaxton, England, and SWITZERLAND! We will be revising the program description shortly to reflect the new destination. In the meantime, please read more about the 2014 version of the program that took students to Romania!
Come to England and Transylvania and step back in time, and forward into the magic!
Come with us and bring literature to life!
Dracula is everywhere! Are you fascinated with the stories of vampires? Join us as we follow the footsteps of the oldest vampire ever:
Come with us to Transylvania!
We will fly to Bucharest, Transylvania and spend 8 days following Dracula’s literary trail:
we’ll stay in his magnificent castle on the Borgo Pass, visit ancient monasteries and fortresses, eat vampire menus by candlelight and hear legendary tales around campfires!
Then we’ll fly to London and go directly to Whitby, a quaint seaside fishing village where author Bram Stoker once lived, and see where Dracula entered England.
Next we’ll go and live in Harlaxton–the British castle we call “home.” We’ll do many wonderful things there, including a High Tea, a formal Ball, and a trip to Charlotte Bronte’s home and misty moors (after reading Jane Eyre).
Our 3-week study abroad class will culminate in Shakespeare’s Stratford-upon-Avon, where we will stay and see two plays, in addition to visiting the bard’s home and favorite haunts.
Our 2013 Harlaxton students created a video that shows you exactly what you can expect next summer – take a look!
Join us for a once-in-a-lifetime literary adventure!
Your home: a Castle; Your classroom: the world!
One weekend is FREE for independent travel throughout England, Scotland,
Ireland, Paris—wherever you like!
- 8 days in Transylvania: visiting numerous medieval cities, fortresses, Dracula’s castle, and the magnificent Borgo Pass.
- 2 days in Whitby, England, with visits to its gothic Abbey and seaside fishing village
- Day trip to Haworth, where the Bronte sisters lived and wrote – and a dramatic walk through the misty moors where they roamed
- Two days in Stratford-upon-Avon, where Shakespeare lived, plus two plays at the Royal Shakespeare Theatre
- Day trip to Warwick Castle (and its Renaissance Faire, England-style)
- High Tea at Harlaxton Castle
- Wine and Cheese Reception at Harlaxton Castle
Program Cost in Summer 2014:
- Undergraduate: $4,999.97
Program Cost Includes:
- $150 Non-Refundable Application Fee
- $500 Non-Refundable Program Deposit Fee
- Tuition/Fees for 1 TCNJ unit
- Accommodation at Harlaxton Manor and all Bed and Breakfast’s
- Three meals per day (except for lunches and dinners in Cornwall)
- Transportation for all class trips
- Airport Shuttle roundtrip from Heathrow Airport to The Castle
- All excursions, day trips, tickets and fees
- International Student Insurance
Program Cost Does Not Include:
- Airfare (arranged separately)
- Transportation to/from US airport
- Personal Items
- One weekend free for Independent Travel (optional)
- Other personal expenses (personal travel, etc.)
Payment Options – to be posted shortly.
Withdrawal from Program – There may be financial penalties for students who withdraw from a faculty-led program after acceptance and payment of the $500 confirmation fee. Please review our withdrawal policy and contact the CGE if you have any questions.
Questions? Contact the Center for Global Engagement at email@example.com.