June 11-29, 2013 (Summer 2014 TBD)
LIT 370: Literary Landscapes in England (1 unit – 4 credits, Liberal Learning Elective in Literary, Visual and Performing Arts)
Program Director: Dr. Michele Lise Tarter, Professor of Literature, Graduate Program Director
No Pre-Requisites, Language Requirements, or GPA Restrictions – Open to all students (including current first-year students)
Would you like to study abroad in England during the summer, live in a castle, and join us as we bring literature to life? This is an opportunity for students of all majors to live in England and study some of the country’s most fascinating literature. This year the course will be held at the beautiful Harlaxton “Castle” in the Midlands, where courses have been held for the past ten years.
Come to England and step back in time, and forward into the magic!
Come with us and bring literature to life!
Harry Potter is Everywhere! Studio Tours await you! Go to Alnwick Castle, where Harry flew his Nimbus 2000! Find the 9 ¾ Platform in Kings Cross Station!
The Tudors live on! Follow the footsteps of Anne Boleyn: a Tudor banquet at her birthplace, Hever Castle; Henry VIII’s Hampton Court; The Tower, where he had Anne Boleyn beheaded.
Overnights in London and Edinburgh, Scotland
Your home: a Castle; Your classroom: the world!
One weekend is FREE for independent travel throughout England, Scotland,
Ireland, Paris—wherever you like!
- Tour of Alnwick Castle, with broomriding lessons
- Overnight at Hog’s Head Inn near Alnwick Castle
- Two nights in Edinburgh: Walking Tour of the city, with stops at Edinburgh Castle, the Royal Mile, King Arthur’s Seat, and a special visit to the Elephant House, birthplace of Harry Potter
- Two nights in London: Warner Brothers Studio Tour of Harry Potter; 9 ¾ platform in King’s Cross station; ride on London Eye
- Tour of Hever Castle, birthplace of Anne Boleyn
- Tour of Hampton Court, Henry VIII’s finest palace
- Tour of The Tower in London, where Anne Boleyn was beheaded
- Tour of the medieval Old Gainesborough Hall
- Tour of Lincoln Cathedral and Castle
- Two nights in Stratford-upon Avon: walking tour of the town, with visits to Shakespeare’s birthplace, his burial ground, and evening performances of As You Like It and Titus Andronicus
Program Cost in Summer 2013 (Summer 2014 TBD):
- Undergraduate: $4,320
Program Cost Includes:
- $150 Non-Refundable Application Fee
- $500 Non-Refundable Commitment Payment (payable after acceptance in the program)
- Accommodation at Harlaxton Manor and all Bed and Breakfast’s
- Three meals per day (except for lunches and dinners in Cornwall)
- Transportation for all class trips
- Airport Shuttle roundtrip from Heathrow Airport to The Castle
- All excursions, day trips, tickets and fees
- International Student Insurance
Program Cost Does Not Include:
- Airfare (arranged separately)
- Transportation to/from US airport
- Personal Items
- One weekend free for Independent Travel (optional)
- Other personal expenses (personal travel, etc.)
Questions? Contact the Center for Global Engagement at email@example.com.