TCNJ Exchange with Northumbria University, Newcastle-upon-Tyne, England
Northumbria University is a vibrant university in northeastern England, with 38,000 students studying in eight different schools:
- Arts and Social Sciences
- The Built and Natural Environment
- Health, Community and Education
- Computing, Engineering and Information Sciences
- Life Sciences (which incorporates Applied Sciences and Psychology and Sport Sciences)
- Newcastle Business School
One of Northumbria’s most famous alums is Gordon Sumner, a.k.a. Sting from the rock band The Police. (Ask your parents about him…they’ll know who he is!)
The Study Abroad office at NU maintains a group page on Facebook where you can ask questions and meet other students planning to study there.
TCNJ students will have a variety of interesting academic options from which to choose. Most students take the British Colloquium course that integrates field visits to various parts of northern England and Scotland into a classroom-taught course about the UK. Courses in the UK are called “modules,” and a 10-credit module is usually worth 0.75 TCNJ units. Students may take anywhere from 40-60 Northumbria credits, or three to five TCNJ units, in a study abroad semester.
Here are the subject areas in which TCNJ students may take classes.
- Art History
- Built Environment, Property and Construction
- Business and Management
- Computing and IT
- English and Creative Writing
- Fine Art and Photography
- Geography and Environmental Sciences
- Graphic Design, Motion Graphics and Animation
- Health, Community and Education Studies
- Interior, Furniture and Product Design
- Life Sciences and Chemistry
- Media and Communication
- Modern Languages
- Performing and Visual Arts
- Sociology and Criminology
- Sports Sciences
Students will live in student residences on the NU campus. (Most students report that they have lived in Claude Gibb Hall, which features single rooms and two meals per day.) For more information about NU student residences, check out the NU accommodations website.
Learn more about Northumbria!
Selecting courses to take at Northumbria – (all links to course are above)
Applying to TCNJ to participate in the exchange